Credit for Internship Opportunities
Because the Davidson Honors College is committed to student engagement in learning, we offer the opportunity for students to earn credit for internship opportunities through collaborating with a mentor in developing an academic plan to augment the internship experience. Any DHC student in good academic standing may design an academic internship course for a variable 1-3 credit experience. Students will register for either (HONR 198, 398, or 498) during the term of their internship. The mentor must be willing to evaluate and grade the student’s work, and the student must complete assignments discussed with the mentor (such as reading, writing, fieldwork, research, or community service) to earn credit. Your mentor will provide the discipline-specific criteria necessary for your work. Generally, it is a good idea to devise coursework that will complement or supplement the material covered in a regular course, major, intended profession, as well as the internship experience.
· The Internship Approval Form should be completed by you with support and approval from the mentor and will include a description of the proposed project. The completed form should be submitted no later than the end of the third week of the semester (different deadlines for summer sessions).
· The online form will ask for your information, your mentor's information, and a 300-400-word description of the work you propose. Be sure that the description includes learning objectives, specific assignments, and the requirements for completion. If you have a project title, please include it. The description should include any scheduled meetings and due dates for materials as discussed between mentor and student.
· If the proposed mentor for the internship course is not a tenured or tenure-track faculty member at The University of Montana, then a department chair’s approval is required . The department chair’s approval certifies that the mentor is appropriately qualified to supervise the proposed Honors internship credit. The DHC will request approval when necessary, however it is your responsibility to speak to both the mentor and department chair prior to submitting the form.
· When completing the form, select the appropriate HONR level to complement your existing course. For example, if you are a freshman or sophmore and the internship is an entry-level position, select the HONR 198 option, if you are more advanced in credits and are generally taking 300 level courses, then the 398 or 498 would be better options.
· Once the Internship Approval Form has been submitted a DHC staff member will email you with registration information.
· The Honors internship course must be taken for a traditional letter grade.
· At the end of the semester the DHC will contact the mentor to request the grade. The letter grade will then be recorded through CyberBear. If the internship coursework has not been completed by the end of the semester, the mentor should still submit an appropriate letter grade (either “I” incomplete or “N” in progress), to be followed by a final grade when the work is complete.
Davidson Honors College Learning Objectives:
- Think critically. Identify, evaluate, and integrate available information and arguments; develop logical and reasonable positions across a wide range of issues.
- Communicate. Express ideas and arguments through oral and written strategies; develop strong listening skills.
- Collaborate. Contribute to, and lead if necessary, a diverse team in pursuit of a shared goal.
- Solve problems. Employ rigorous quantitative and/or qualitative analysis to identify informed solutions to complex challenges.
- Design and execute an original project. From initiation to manifestation and public presentation.
- Act ethically. Make decisions based on the University of Montana’s four guiding principles: innovation and creativity, openness, partnership, and impact.
- Engage as a citizen. Strengthen commitment to meaningful service and community.